23/07/2007

Bronglais ward get its own Rural Affairs Minister


This blog would like to congratulate our Assembly Member Elin Jones on becoming Wales’s Rural Affairs Minister. Elin has lived in Bronglais ward for many years.

She will be joining Ieuan Wyn Jones, Rhodri Glyn Thomas and Jocelyn Davies who have also been appointed as Plaid Cymru's first ever Government Ministers.
Commenting on her Ministerial appointment, Elin said:

"I am incredibly honoured to have been appointed as Rural Affairs Minister in the new One Wales Cabinet. After being in opposition for eight years, I'm now looking forward to the challenges that being a Minister will bring. I am particularly pleased that my portfolio in the One Wales Cabinet is dedicated especially for Rural Affairs since Plaid Cymru and others have called for this to become a reality for a number of years.

"My first Ministerial engagement will be hosting a meeting with the European Commission's Agriculture Commissioner, Mariann Fischer Boel, on Sunday and attending the Royal Welsh on Monday. However, as the daughter of a Teifi Valley farmer, I will also ensure that Ceredigion's voice is heard in the heart of government and my commitment to my constituency will continue to be my priority".


The One Wales agreement between Plaid Cymru and the Labour Party is arguably the most reresentative Welsh government possible, including, as it does, the largest number of AMs of any likely coalition and representing both the south Wales valleys and the rural areas of the Mid and North.


The text of the agreement can be seen at: http://www.plaidcymru.org/uploads/publications/281.pdf