05/02/2010

Former Lib Dem Mayor joins Plaid Cymru

The former Lib Dem mayor of Aberystwyth, Lorrae Jones-Southgate, today announced she has joined Plaid Cymru.

Lorrae served on Aberystwyth Town Council for 5 years between 2003 and 2008 but resigned in June of that year whilst still mayor due to differences with her then party, the Liberal Democrats.

Commenting on her decision to join Plaid, Lorrae said:

“Following my resignation as a town councillor for Aberystwyth, I thought long and hard about where my political allegiances lie. As a result, I’ve come to the conclusion that, as a party that’s continually delivering for the people of Ceredigion, Plaid Cymru is best placed to represent people like me.

“I’m now looking forward to assisting Penri James with his campaign to become Ceredigion’s next MP. I’m confident that he will be an independent voice for us at Westminster and will work hard as a team with Elin Jones AM”.

The announcement comes on the day Plaid Cymru and Penri James officially kick-off their general election campaign with an evening in Llwyncelyn with special guests Dai Jones, Llanilar, and TV presenter Angharad Mair.