29/06/2010

Glangwili


Hywel Dda Health Board are consulting on changing the official name of Carmarthen Hospital to Glangwili from the current 'West Wales General Hospital'. The hospital's official name has always seemed odd when there are actually three other large hospitals in West Wales - Bronglais in Aberystwyth, Withybush in Haverfordwest and Prince Philip in Llanelli (not overly happy about that last name either).

Elin Jones, Ceredigion's Assembly Member says,

“I've always called the hospital Glangwili. Having been brought up in the Lampeter area, it's been my family’s hospital and I never went to see my grandmothers in West Wales General. However, I went several times to Glangwili!

“In my experience only NHS managers have referred to it as West Wales General Hospital, and not patients and visitors to the hospital. I believe that it’s better for all District General Hospitals to be known by their local names – after all, they're all hospitals in west Wales, and no one hospital in particular should hold the name for all of West Wales”.

The online poll will be available on the
Hywel Dda Health Board’s website until 9th July.